Functional Descriptions for ThingPark Wireless - Version 5.2
This article is the official documentation provided by Actility for the 5.2 release.
It will contain functional descriptions for ThingPark Wireless products but not all ThingPark products (ThingPark OS, ThingPark Enterprise, ThingPark Market)
The ThingPark set consists of four main key components:
The ThingPark platform is a modular solution enabling Network Operators to:
Deploy LPWANs based on LoRaWAN™ or LTE with ThingPark Wireless.
Manage, activate and monetize IoT bundles (device, connectivity and application) with ThingPark OS.
Provide value-added data layer services, such as protocol drivers and storage with ThingPark X.
ThingPark OSS acts as the central System Management Platform (SMP), enabling all other ThingPark platform modules with base capabilities such as subscriber management, centralized authentication and access rights, and workflow management.
ThingPark Enterprise is an Internet of Things (IoT) platform that manages private LoRa® Networks. The ThingPark Enterprise edition is used by companies to support their specific business.
Please note that the modules above may be representing a physical server, a function, a service or a business support layer as part of the overall ThingPark solution and not necessarily a physical HW server
ThingPark Wireless Product Functional Description
ThingPark Wireless is a long range bi-directional low power wide area (LPWA) network enabler solution for Smart City, Smart Building, Smart Home and to any IoT vertical emerging market applications. It is a set of out-of-the-box modules which enable a network Operator to immediately deploy, operate and sell LPWA M2M networks.
ThingPark Wireless is the module that enables the operation and management of the RF NW.
The solution includes two key modules and a set of network tools:
- ThingPark Wireless OSS – Enables the Operator and their partners to manage, operate and monitor the ThingPark solution
- ThingPark Wireless Core Network – Enables the transmission of uplink frames from a LPWAN Device, through NW gateways (LRR’s) into the IoT NW controller (LRC back end server) and the transmission of downlink frames from the IoT NW Controller (LRC), via a NW GW (LRR) into a LPWAN Device
- Apart from the ThingPark Wireless OSS and Core NW, the ThingPark Wireless module also includes a set of NW tools, which provides an enhanced set of deployment, operation and monitoring capabilities for the entire IoT NW
ThingPark Security Architecture Description
This document provides a technical-description of Actility’s ThingPark products and modules security architecture.
The scope of this document is to detail the network and security principles implemented in the different ThingPark solution modules.
ThingPark Wireless JoinServer Solution Description
This document describes how the Actility ThingPark Wireless Join Server Solution works with an external deployment mode, and addresses the following topics:
- Platforms architecture
- Servers configuration
- Solution workflows
- Applications setup and user interface
This solution, available from ThingPark 4.1 onwards, supports the following options:
- Software Security Module (SSM)
- Hardware Security Module (HSM).
The document briefly describes the ThingPark Wireless Long-Range Controller (LRC) that is a combined Network Server – Join Server.
The test runs are indicative results only. They were tested in Actility lab conditions and a specific environment configuration. They show an estimated and potential performance. They should not be treated as a fixed performance figure, nor do they indicate any level of product performance capabilities for operation or business requirements.
ThingPark Wireless HSM Solution Description
The scope of this document is to describe Actility ThingPark Wireless Hardware Security Module (HSM) and its functionality.
The HSM solution consists of three different software modules:
- An HSM module that runs inside the Utimaco HSM hardware appliance.
- An HSM client that runs on a front-end LRC server and that is connected to the HSM module. It manages XML requests from other components of the Actility solution.
- An HSM decrypting tool that can be used to decrypt XML responses.
A Hardware Security Module is a hardware appliance that executes cryptographic operations relying on inaccessible master keys. ThingPark HSM supports the three main functions described below:
- Secure management of root and sessions keys for OTAA devices.
- Secure delivery of AppSKey to Application Servers, to enforce data confidentiality.
- Secure generation of root keys: AppKey and NwkKey (the latter is only valid for LoRaWAN1.1 devices).
HSM mode is compatible with both LRC modes:
- LRC combo-mode: both NS and JS functions are embedded in the same LRC virtual machine (VM).
- LRC NS-JS mode: the NS and JS functions are separately managed by 2 different LRC VMs. This deployment mode is also known as JS-standalone mode. In TPW release 5.1, the interface between NS and JS is fully compliant with LoRaWAN Backend Interfaces specification v1.0.
ThingPark Wireless Usage Detail Records Description
The scope of this document is to provide a description of ThingPark Usage Detail Records based on Actility’s ThingPark Product Version 5.2.2.
This document is also applicable to ThingPark Enterprise SaaS Edition.
ThingPark Appendix B: Technical Features List Product Functional Description
This document provides a functional-level description of Actility’s ThingPark Product Version 5.0.1.
Note: throughout the document, all references to LoRaWAN™ functionality are based on LoRaWAN™ version 1.0.2.